View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #120
Root2812

Re: Pre-LS swap questions

Thanks Steve. I will see if I can rent or borrow a tool.

Now that my engine is squared away I am dealing with the accessory drive. I want as much clearance as possible so I don't have to modify my firewall so I bought the Holley alternator/PS bracket that runs the corvette spacing. Now I need to buy all the parts to go with it and damn they are expensive. PS pump, tensioner, and alternator are pretty straight forward but I need to find a decent price on each of those. The catchy one is the water pump. I have 3 options. The ls1/ls6 pump with the bell pulley, an ls3/ls7 corvette pump, or an ls3 pump from a Camaro. All bolt up I was thinking either of the ls3 pumps because the pulley is narrower and would give me a little more room for the electric fan. Of course they have to cost twice as much as the LS1/LS6 pump. The LS3s differ by outlet location. So many choices.

But let me ask you guys another question. The steam line.... I don't know where to run it. I would rather not tap my new waterpump because then if I ever have to change it if I'm out on a trip I would have problems. Do I have to run it to the top of the radiator then? And do I need a coolant reservoir for the radiator to overflow into? Could I run the steam lines to that? I have heard the terms surge tank and overflow tank and have no idea what they mean. Please enlighten me on what I need to do.

Thanks for all the help guys. Exhaust will be next but BREW CITY is already schooling me in another thread.