View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #237
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Looking very good coming together!

Pella..I remember a lot of brick buildings in town, including the McDonalds.
That's Pella, for sure! They've got some fairly strict zoning regulations that call for any new commercial/retail building has to be built with a dutch looking style. Probably annoying to new businesses or builders but sure makes the town look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
good god that looks awesome. I agree 100% with not upholstering the full door. There are so many cool original looking features that people blow right over and have no appreciation for. I like custom but when the little details get stripped, I often don't like that. I can't stand seeing cars that are old be turned into something so new and modern, like a boyd car, just not my flavor at all. What you got going on is a perfect combo. Its all about that contrast and some people don't understand that.
I really appreciate your comment. When I first started the build, I was planning on "smoothing" out a lot of elements on the truck - such as shaving the cowl vents, drip rails, door handles, firewall stamping, and hood center strip. But as things progressed, I realized I really wanted to keep all that original personality because Marvin has always been to me a nice old truck and I still wanted Marvin to have that aura about him. (even though underneath the sheet metal, he's been upgraded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
Killer paint! I can only imagine how excited you must be. This is gonna be one sweet ride.
Excited is definitely the right word! Home stretch now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Do you plan on having your front end aligned when you finish the truck?
For sure. Right now the goal is for Marvin to be fully complete with assembly in time for an indoor car show in mid-April. But that won't necessarily mean ready to hit the streets. After that show, Marvin will need to hang tight in a garage until the winter conditions fade to spring and all the salt and sand get off the road. Then will need to go through a full phase of drive testing and "dialing it in." Will get the fuel, ignition, and transmission computers set up correctly, adjust brakes, coil-overs, steering, and alignment. Make sure gauges, lighting, radio, a/c, etc. are all working correctly. So once the warm weather comes and Marvin has gone through a couple weeks of "commissioning," then will be ready to hit the road - can't wait!