View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
jeffahart

Re: A quick look at the Hickey worm gear winch

Hi Dazza,

I read your post on the worm hickey, I actually read it a few weeks ago too when trying to dig up mounting information. You did a nice job cleaning it up, makes me want to polish mine too, because I will definitely mount it up front and high. I guess the sidewinder was the answer for the obnoxious configuration of the worm gear winch. But, the worm gear design lives on and I know it's a robust design. I actually know nothing of the sidewinder, I've never owned one or know anyone with one; and I generally like hydraulic winches and over PTO too.

The only problem with this winch is mounting. I've seen the under mounts that have it hanging down real low. How can you use the winch if it's the low hanging fruit stuck in the muck? Although I may go that route just leery of mounting it like that. So in the next couple weeks I'll evaluate the thing and verify that it's serviceable and then bolt on the front and then study where it might best fit then fab a bumper around it.

It's that darned transfer case that sticks out. Most build bumpers so the roller fairleads stick out even with the transfer case(when the winch is mounted high with the transfer on top). But when I build my bumper the hawse will be built into the bumper. So, a mount configuration like below will have the transfer sticking out like a battering ram!

BLT gmc, who also posted, is who I got the winch from. He made me a great deal. He has one also and is planning to mount some day.

Anyhow, I'll be working on the conundrum over the next few weeks. Any info or feedback you have is appreciated.