Thread: Ls alt wiring
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #65
SoMsippi_B-tie

Re: Ls alt wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
I know this must be getting very annoying to have to keep answering slightly different questions of the same topic... However while reading this thread it never was explained very clearly how to connect a (ex: ) 2004 silverado 145amp alternator to c10 wiring harness with a carbureted LS engine instead of FI. I know the red power wire which connected to back lug of the original delco alternator is connected the same, and I know there's one more wire that needs to be connected to the stock c10 alt. Harness, and I do know that when going carburated you need a resistor inline to that said wire, but which terminal on the Delphi plug and which color wire from the c10 harness go together? I bough Holley's LS swap alt. Pigtail which has the resistor already and it's positioned for the "L" terminal on my alternator, is that correct?
I have a 69 that had original harness in it and swapped to 5.3 with carburetor. I spent a few hours reading and studying about how the older style OEM wiring harnesses and the chevy alternators actually work on the older cars/trucks on this site http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml

What concerned me was that I just spent all this money to upgrade my truck, but would also be running 2 electric fans, and 1 electric fuel pump off of my battery and possibly have too high of an amperage draw and too high of an amperage output alternator and an undersized wiring harness that was almost 50 years old. Rather than taking the chance of being stranded or burning my truck down I switched to a painless wiring harness and that kit comes with the stuff you need to properly wire a 105 amp (max allowed) type CS130D alternator and make your electrical system operate off of the power output of the alternator and properly sense the voltage draw of your electrical system and charge the battery as needed. I also had to buy the plug, #30705, from Painless for the alternator so that it could be properly wired. It took several phone calls to Painless to get the right person that understood all of this and knew what I was asking, as well as what they were talking about. Also, their wire harness instructions were being revised, and at the time I downloaded this particular wire harness instruction manual from their site it had not been updated and it did not explain anything related to the newer style CS130D alternators, but the one I received in the box with the harness was the correct set of instructions and described all of this to the letter...... I also tried to talk to Holley technical because they sell a LS alternator and plug, but I could never get the right person that actually understood me or their product on the phone to help me understand how to wire it up to an existing harness, therefore I chose to go thru the effort of swapping the harness out and do not regret it.

It's worth your time to read up the explanation of how a proper charging system works on www.madelectrical.com
SoMsippi_B-tie is offline   Reply With Quote