View Single Post
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

Managed to get the radio installed with the aux input this weekend. Nothing groundbreaking there. I drove it over to Larry's to grab the other seat and the old console. I did notice a weird resonance coming in when I let of the throttle, but it sounded like it was coming from the exhaust so I didn't think to much about it.

So today I take it over to my in-law's house to do some yard work which is maybe a mile from my place so no problems felt. I get done over there and decide to go out to show the truck to my buddy John with the yellow TJ heep. Motoring down the Boulevard and the resonance I heard before just changed to a major vibration as I slow down for a stoplight. Uh-oh.

I pull over into a safe spot and get out to find this:

Son of beach!

After a quick conversation with Larry via text and my niece and her hubby seeing me on the side of the road we got a plan together. I slammed down the last of my gatorade so I had something to shove over the tailshaft once the shaft is out. I had my niece pull it out of park to take the load off the shaft and was able to pull it off the rear yoke and out. I cut the end of the bottle off and shoved it over the output. I locked the hubs in and stuffed it into 4hi. The ride home was minus the resonance so that pretty much locks it down for me we got a driveline angle problem. To flipping stupid to recognize it before it broke, but live and learn right?

Closer shots of my stupidty-

Pretty sure by looking at the yoke on the shaft it's fubar'd. The groove is wiped out for the retaining clip. Need more bolts and straps for the axle yoke. I guess I'll take the shaft to work to send it off for repair. Then it's time to measure the driveline angles and get the adjustments made.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote