View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
weider1717

Literally sick over this. I've done the trouble shooting and have info and pics.

Ok guys baby has 69k miles on it so sick about this not sure what happen but my engine looks like it's taking on coolant I at first thought it was condensation from sitting up but doesn't appear so.

I stripped the engine bay of accessories, exhaust manifolds etc because the radiator and water pump was leaking. I had the radiator recored and sent the water pump off to be rebuilt to a reputable source. Cleaned everything up by blasting and painting etc and got it button up

I'm fairly tech savvy and really REALLY really picky which is why I do my own work but wth could have happened truck was fine before and the most extensive thing I did was replace the water pump.

see first pic below when I got it finished up, it sat awhile as I got distracted months before I put everything back

Name:  IMG_6317-2.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  87.7 KB

after a few miles I noticed under the oil cap didn't look right changed the oil thought all was well as it was just condensation but this is run I got on my fingers now after running my fingers up under the driver side valve cover.

Name:  IMG_8342.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  64.9 KB

So, did a compression check it may be a bit confusing but the first time I did it the readings are on the right side of the CYLINDER # and I only did the driver side and one of the passenger cylinders twice before my battery died.

got a new battery and ran the test on all cylinders again twice as you can see the lowest reading was 169-170ish and the highest 180 so the compression checks good *I disconnected the fuel bowl clips so fuel was deactivated but didn't have the throttle WOT but I think the test is still good as it compares the cylinders.

see pressure checks again numbers on the right side of the cylinder number was the first time before the battery died. Numbers to the left of the cylinder number were with new battery all done back to back. I did each cylinder twice each time and one cylinder that was on the low side 3 times.
Name:  IMG_8343.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  66.6 KB

all plugs looked god but #7 was wet and #4 was ever so slightly wet rest was clean burning. See pic below
Name:  IMG_8259.jpg
Views: 1292
Size:  52.4 KB
Name:  IMG_8341.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  58.3 KB

What do you think with the compression check looking good but coolant getting in the engine? Should I dive in and pull the intake manifold and heads and start there or could there be something I am missing before I get that deep? Truck runs fine I just noticed I was losing coolant and digging deeper with that and the sludge under the valve cover it doesn't look good.

Any help appreciated I think with the info above some really engine gurus guys on this site may could point me in the right direction I don't want to pull the engine knowing the thing was fine before but I guess if I have to I have to. I have pulled heads, intakes before never done a bottom end rebuild but I'm up for it IF it requires it because basically I trust my work over someone else even a builder, I'll do the reacher and buy the tools and do it but I sure hope it doesn't' come to that.

Last edited by weider1717; 03-18-2016 at 11:03 PM.
weider1717 is offline   Reply With Quote