View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #17
Shady Rascal

Re: Literally sick over this. I've done the trouble shooting and have info and pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weider1717 View Post

now if you let it set an set it will go down 1.5-2 psi or so in 10-15min time approx but I consider that holding.

That's a minimal leak down really.

if the compression check and good and this is good yet coolant is still entering the oil does that mean an internal crack to the block or what?

No. If the pressure isn't leaking down appreciably, that tells you the entirety of the system is intact, from head gasket to not having any cracks in the head, block, etc. A cracked block or head would leak down pressure the same as a blown gasket would.
My comments added above in red.

You're still not totally out of the woods in that it is leaking down a bit. Ideally it should hold pressure indefinitely, but in reality, usually there is a tiny bit of leakage around the connection to the radiator. So, it's unknown whether you have a tiny internal leak or if it's just the tool leaking down, or possibly a tiny little external leak at a hose or something that you haven't noticed yet.

Some will comment that the game changes when the engine warms up, ie. an undetectable crack opens up under heat of operation, or a gasket begins to leak under operating pressure and heat while running. That does happen in some situations. It's something to keep in the back of your mind.

Personally, I'd change the oil and install some GM seal tabs and keep an eye on it.

GM seal tabs....

Amazon.com: Genuine GM Fluid 3634621 Cooling... Amazon.com: Genuine GM Fluid 3634621 Cooling...

Yes, it is a bit of a stop leak product, but GM puts them inside of factory crate engines right out of the box just to cover the bases on any potential leaks. They aren't like Stop Leak goop from the parts store. If it's good enough for GM to use, it's always been good enough for me. Been using them for 20 years or more. Never a clogged cooling system. As a matter of fact last week I had the radiator rebuilt on my 74 truck. The radiator shop guy had tied a package of the GM seal tabs to the neck of the radiator when I picked it up. This is a third generation radiator shop guy and he wasn't just trying to cover shoddy work.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote