Thread: SiX-5 SuBuRbAn
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 12:34 AM   #40
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: SiX-5 SuBuRbAn

I got a couple free days, and got some progress on this.
working on the body mounts:

first I had to wrestle the body around on the frame, and had to trim the body supports back a little bit to get the body square on the frame..
once it was where I wanted it I went out into the yard and scavenged some parts to make the mounts.
in the first pic, you can see the 3rd mount ends up being way off the top of the frame, this is the mount that is under the rear floor section, the 2 pieces of frame rail off the back of my crew cab happened to fit in the hole... in the center I used the ends off a 60 Pontiac frame that I had , and then used some flat plate to box them in.

the next pic shows the front mounts: the best solution turned out to be the radiator core support mounts off a 73-87 2wd... the left one took some doing because the trans cross member ends right under the body mount.

next is onto the rear mounts, I used some more 60 Pontiac pieces for the 4th mount, and the 5th I was able to use the factory mount since I cut the rear frame rails off the suburban frame.- that worked out pretty nice I was able to bolt the frame rails to the bumper, and then to the suburban, get the bumper set just right, and then weld the ends to the new cross member.

4th picture: I will be able to use the buick wagon gas tank, I built a frame work to strap it up to, and then had to notch a piece of the LH frame rail for the filler to go through.

5th pic.
I was able to retain the stock floor over the rear axle, I just got some pieces of 2X2 angle iron and welded them together in a "Z" shape and bolted it in place!
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote