Thread: Tig welder
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 12:01 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Tig welder

So my buddy bought an AlphaTig recently and I got to use it for the first time. I like to use A/C aluminum welding as the "judge" of how good a tig is, since to me, its the defining reason to own one.

The Good about the Alpha;
  • Seems well built case and IGBT internals.
  • Power source "sounds" good on A/C, and maintains a pretty stable arc.
  • Does A/c, D/c, and high freq pulse.
  • Fairly easy to setup without much explanation, only a few odd controls.
  • Cheap.
The Bad;
  • That stock torch is horendous. I think it would be useable for a new welder, or maybe if you REALLY wanted to use that thumb switch, but otherwise is just feels tacky in your hands.
  • The stock gas reg is very low quality. It doesn't have the good flow meter built in, and for auto-fab, you'll want a dual reg anyway.
  • The stock foot pedal...this may the the BIGGEST complaint. Apparently these style are more common in Europe and Asia, but it feels weird to me (best comparison I have is driving a car with a floor-mount clutch). Its hard to get used to its spring feedback, and just doesn't fit my size14 work boot.

I'd say for a weekend warrior, its a nice unit. You can always upgrade the torch, pedal, and regulator as they use connections that are common enough in the industry that you can use the "big" guys parts.

The only real competition for it would be the low-midrange welders from Everlast like the 185ext. Their torch and pedal are nicer, and the regulator is generic but of decent quality with a flow meter. Its about $300 more, but with the torch pedal and reg, its nearly the same cost. Your only advantage there being the brick-n-mortar support for returns and warranty thru HD/Lowes/Neus

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote