Thread: The Tiki Sea 10
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2016, 01:08 AM   #66
DaddyOh

Re: The Tiki Sea 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
If you don't mind my asking what brand of bead roller do you have and what dies did you use on that creation?
I use a Mittler Brothers 36" bead roller. It is a very nice roller and decided to pick one up after seeing it at the last SEMA show. I spoke with Jamey Jordan while there and picked up a couple his DVD's that easily explains the process. The bead roller is nice but the key is in the dies.

I use a steel tipping die to 'score' in the design. Then I alternate between a delrin 45 degree and delrin radius die. With the delrin dies, you can make multiple small passes without leaving traces of where you were before. The key is to SLOWLY burn in the design to prevent warpage or puckering of the material. When working in aluminum, I will use the delrin dies... and steel dies when rolling steel.

It looks difficult and complex... but once you know the sequence, it is actually pretty simple... as long as you go slow.

This better shows the process of 'pulling' the beads out of the score line... you can see the difference that multiple passes do in relation to pic posted above...this piece is about 2 feet tall.

This is how it looks when it gets ready to be scored... I just use reference lines to make an initial pass to define the part.

Last edited by DaddyOh; 06-24-2016 at 01:31 AM.
DaddyOh is offline   Reply With Quote