View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #31
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

When you're learning how to wrench on cars for the first time, things take time. I'm learning this. Getting the right parts, having the budget for the parts, getting old parts that will work for much less than new parts, having the tools to install the parts, and then figuring out all the parts you didn't even know you'd need to get...
Luckily there are great resources available to new car guys, such as this forum and the internet in general. But what i've found is that nothing can replace the resource that is "That Buddy". That buddy who used to build cars, that buddy who has a welder he can bring over, that buddy who has some old parts sitting in the garage that he'd rather see put to use than collect dust, that buddy who stays with you in the garage until 2am to finish the task we set out to complete that evening. I'm so glad to have found That Buddy.
Erik has helped me get the engine and trans in the truck. Figured out where the mounts will go. Helped fab up a trans mount off the T-Bar cross member and is making me some custom aluminium spacers. Put the motor in and measured for everything, pulled it out, bolted trans to motor and put it all back in, welded trans mount, made make-shift motor mount spacers and got everything set into place.
I still need to pull it all out once more to put the torque converter and flywheel on and get a starter installed. then she can be bolted in "for good"
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote