View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #8
joedoh

Re: Shorten chassis with engine and trans in

well, its easy if you have a place for it all to sit, and want to take all the exhaust and fuel lines off. I think I see where he is coming from. I see where you are coming from too, a man usually finds his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it (thats from kung fu panda haha)

I will say it will all come loose, engine trans exhaust and fuel lines, to move it all back so it fits in the AD engine compartment. but you can do that roughly in place on the frame too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Trouble with leaving the engine in, you can't measure an X pattern corner-to-corner on the frame with the engine in the way.

there is a factory joint on an s10, its not impossible to get it out of square but you would have to try pretty hard, because of how the rear section fits into the front. its certainly not like cutting a frame in half and trying to butt weld it together. I took a statics class a long time ago and got interested in frames, so I built a 3/4 frame reusing the front clip, I did it with the motor and trans in place by welding it to a jig I built under the original frame that located all the body mounts and main rails.

here is a picture, you can see the jig I welded under the frame with all the pins that set the center and height of the body mounts. the rear axle is temp welded to the jig, and you can see the main rails laid in and attached to the front clip.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 08-21-2016 at 11:00 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote