View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #42
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalprelude View Post
I bought a 61 two months ago with almost identical engine and problems. I'm watching your posts as each of the changes, repairs, and upgrades you make are certainly the items I'm planning. I had a front wheel fall-off while driving last weekend so the brakes, spindles, booster, and MC are my next items. Did you have good luck with the Summit parts you ordered? Did you have any problems with the pushrods length or the brake pedal length bottoming-out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62 Barnfind View Post
Truck is looking good! What size brake line did you use?
Thanks guys. It's always encouraging to have other looking on and rooting me on. Hopefully my progress isn't too slow for you all, I know i'd love it to be going faster!
As for the new spindle and brake parts from McGaughys (thru summit) I am very pleased with them so far. Since I haven't been able to rode test them, that whole "no engine" problem...I can't give a full report. As for install and fitment they were great. One problem with the disc brake kit was I got a bad rubber brake line that leaked. McGaughys' customer service was quick to supply a replacement part and all is well.
The MC and booster came from a 1976 C10, according to the man off craigslist. Because the MC and booster were already together there wasn't any push rod issue between them. I did have to add an extension to the push rod to reach the brake pedal; i used some threaded rod and a coupling nut.
Running the brake lines went much quicker than I anticipated. I used the old lines as "jigs" to bend the new lines and used 3/8 line for everything. The original had 1/4 running from the MC to the front lines and then down to 3/8 to the rear. The new MC is dual reservoir so 3/8 "should be plenty" according to my parts guy at Roxbury Auto Parts.
As for stopping power, they hold the truck still with me trying to push it! that's all the testing i've been able to do until i get the drive train put back in. Which should be soon, but not soon enough.
Thanks again to all who are following this build, even if it's just for a good laugh at an amateur busting his knuckles. So far i'm having more fun than i thought a truck project would be
Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote