View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 11:05 PM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Fixing shop roof leak

The biggest safety problem I see is nobody is wearing a harness or is tied off to prevent falls.. I'm saying this and last week I fell off mine (while trying to be safe).. i was putting the tin on my 6/12 pitch..I was using ropes tied on both sides of the shop with a prussic knot tied in..I was wearing a saftey belt as well..it started raining so I immediately climbed down (water and tin don't mix).. it rained for about 30 min and quit..the sun came out..I waited about another hour to let everything dry out..I went back up on the roof and eased down to where I left off and when I pulled the rope tight it looked like you rung out a dishrag..feet went out from under me and here I go...12ft of momentum followed by a 10ft drop...(total time about 3 seconds)..luckily the big rock broke my fall..fortunately all I got was a bruise on my butt that looked like elvis..my mistake was not being 100% tied off..I know of 4 people here locally that have recently fallen off ladders ..1 is dead, 1 had to have his shattered leg amputated, and the other 2 had crushed ankles broke arms and ribs.. I was tring to be safe and got bit anyway..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote