View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 09:17 PM   #122
forestb

Re: Forest's rebuild thread

So here is the frustrating update. I started working on the timing last weekend and got it to where I thought was good. While doing that I realized that my battery cable was not secured to the terminal vary well. So I bought a new 4 gauge battery cable with a battery cut off switch and installed that this morning before even trying to start the truck up. I pored a little fuel in the carburetor and it fired right up on the first crank. Thought grate and proceeded to fine tune my timing a little bit. I was running vary good and I was able to turn it off and start it back up with no problem. While I was tightening the distributor back down I bumped the distributor. So my timing got all messed up. I turned the distributor back to where I thought it was and tried to start it back up. But it would barely turn over as thought the battery was almost dead. I tried to adjust the distributor to see if that was the problem but that did not help. So I tried to jump start it and that did not work either when it had worked in the past. My volt gauge in my truck is showing 12 volts and drops significantly when I try to turn it over. I tried bypassing the battery cut off switch by bolting the two ends that were connected to the switch together and that did not help.

Here are my thoughts.

1) I need a new battery or need it to be put on a slow charge. (I do not think this is it sense I tried to jump it and that did not work) I will probably take the battery to a mechanic next Saturday if I can't come up with anything else.

2) The starter motor is going out. It is a minnie starter that I have not had that long. (I don't think this is the problem sense it will turn the engine over but just a little bit.)

3) The electrical is grounding out somewhere. I don't see any thing arking but that is the only logical logical solution I can come up with. That would explain why the battery seams like it is almost dead but will not jump start and why it seemed like it happened all of a sudden.

The electrical has recently been redone. There are a lot of extra wires that are not connected to anything. They do not have any kind of connectors on the ends and the wires are not showing. They are all for the things that came with the harness that my truck does not need. Like back up lights, wires for electrical seats and a radio, just to name a few. I would call the guy that did the wiring on Monday. But if I can't stat the truck I can not take it to him without getting towed.

I am vary frustrated.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote