View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
bambbrose

Re: Camp and cruise, 72 Jimmy 4wd Project

24th Oct 2016

Making some great progress this month.
Just got all of my new sheetmetal parts in the mail from GMCPauls, great customer service from those guys. One part was just slightly bent, probably not enough to warrant full replacement, however I mentioned it and they priority mailed me a replacement, no questions asked.

Also picked up new lenses and found nearly every part I need to get back on the road. I think the biggest thing I'm missing is probably just all of the small hardware and clips for the GMC front end. Might be on the road by end of November if I keep up the pace.

Currently my big project is rebuilding the headlight harness. As you know I'm converting a K5 harness to a GMC one, with the four headlights. I found a diagram after a long time searching, only to find out that the second set of headlamps are literally just an extension of the high beam circuit. This makes for an easy harness modification.

I took the harness off and started replacing everything. Since I'm in here, I decided to replace the alternator plug which was extremely brittle and corroded. I also cleaned each plug and reapplied dielectric grease for, hopefully, another few decades of service.

I also integrated the headlight dedicated relay circuit modification, so the headlights are brighter. Good thread on this here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=397695

Lastly, I integrated into the harness a 40 amp fused 10 AWG circuit to a 4 post junction block for future accessory use.
I replaced all of the inline fusible links and glass tube fuse plugs with new ATC waterproof inline fuses as well. The purists here may call foul but I prefer the newer fuses.

More pictures of the finished product to come. Here is what I started with:
Attached Images

bambbrose is offline   Reply With Quote