View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #67
joe231

Re: My 1991 Crew Cab project

So....
I got my windshield installed. Then the trans issues started again. My speedo quit completely. I replaced the rear VSS connector, didn't fix it so I looked online to see how to test the VSS. Everything I find shows a different style VSS and says to ohm it out and it should be @ 400 ohms. I'm guessing it's the 2wd ones. I ohmed mine and it's open so I ordered a new one on amazon for @$30. Local parts stores wanted @$90. Got the new one, ohmed it before installing and it's open also . I installed it anyway and my speedo started working again. So I test drive it and it shifted beautifully. 1,2,3,4, and converter lock. Parked it and went to drive it a half hour later and it won't shift out of first. I disconnected the batteries and let it sit for a couple days. Hooked the batteries up and drove it around. Once again it shifted beautifully until it lost 4th gear. Shut it off and restarted it and it would stay in first. Anyone who is familiar with these trans should be familiar with "limp mode". When in limp mode it typically stays in second gear. With out going too deep, there are 2 shift solenoid, 1-2 shift solenoid and the 3-4 shift solenoid. 1-2 solenoid is energized in first, neither is energized in second, 3-4 shift solenoid is energized in 3rd, then both solenoid are energized in 4th. I was thinking maybe the 1-2 solenoid was stuck, but when the trans is stuck in first I can unplug the trans and it reverts to 2nd. I tried scanning it at the local parts store. Their scanner couldn't establish communication. I used the paper clip in the ALDL, and only get 12 over and over with no stored codes. I'm also finding mixed information online. Some info says bad solenoids will cause this, other info says bad trans temp sensor will cause it. So I have to do some testing and hopefully get a scanner to communicate. If anyone reading this has any insight, please share...