View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
joedoh

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

there isnt an "airbag shock", just a gas charged shock. if you have really big bags in the back and dont lift it very high you will probably want a monotube high quality shock, because the low pressure big bag will really want to oscillate the shock and a lesser shock will foam. I see you are using 5" slams in direct actuation (not an advantage/lever setup) so those shocks you got will be fine in the sense that they are gas charged.

is 5" stop to stop? that may not be enough, the slam bag lifts about 6 and if you are shooting to lay out you will need a 1/2" on the bottom to allow the truck to lay down without resting on the shock mounts, so that means 4.5" of lift, minus the 30 degrees, so a little under 4" of lift.. and at 4" of lift the shock will be topped out, which will ride like a square wheel. you will probably want a longer shock.

If it were mine, which its not, I would get a shock with about 7-8 inches of travel and set ride height in the meat of that travel so there is travel up and down. Lots of airbag guys can get disappointed in the ride when its really just the shock. On my last bagged truck I used 10.5 travel gas charged shocks from a jeep rubicon. rode like a pillow even a half inch off the ground.

such amazing fab work, thanks for all the great pictures!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 12-22-2016 at 01:58 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote