View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 05:12 PM   #39
72cs20

Re: Project daily drivable 62 C20

Already been two months since my last post so here is a quick update on the progress.
The last couple of months have been spent dealing with that part of the project called the "devils details". Things like power steering hoses, fuel lines, fuel tank plumbing, seat fitment etc...

So here is my new fuel tank. I got it from LMC. Its a really nice piece and I couldn't tell the difference between it and the one that came out of the truck. It also has a fitting for a fuel return line, which I need to use for the TBI system on the engine I'm using.
Name:  gas tank.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  26.3 KB
Name:  Return line at tank.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  22.9 KB

Running a fuel injected engine opens up another can of worms. Fuel lines and how to route them. The GM throttle body(TB) feed and return enters and exits from the rear of the TB, so the factory fuel feed line was abandoned. I ran new 3/8 feed and 5/16 return along the inside of the inner frame rail to the bellhousing cross-member, then efi rated fuel hose to the hard lines coming off of the TB. Need to find a dual line clamp to secure the two lines coming off the TB. Any ideas?
At the fuel tank end I bent the lines to go up and over the top of the frame to meet up with the lines coming through the cab floor. A few inches of rubber fuel will join them. I haven't finished this part yet as I'm waiting for my engine harness and fuel pump to arrive. These should be coming this week. This was my first time making my own lines. Quite a learning experience.
Name:  Frame fuel lines.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  31.5 KB
Name:  Fuel lines at TB.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  38.1 KB

I also refurbished the TB with a kit from Summit. These TB's are super simple to do. Two hours to disassemble, clean and re-assemble with new gaskets, O-rings and filters for the injectors. Here is a pic of it back on the engine after going through it. For a "before" image, just imagine it black.
Name:  Rebuilt TB.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  34.7 KB

So next weekend the task will be to install the fuel pump and filter, finish the last bit of plumbing and install the new engine harness. And shortly after I'll take the truck down to the muffler shop and have a new exhaust system installed. Some may gasp in horror, but I'm going use a two into one single 3 inch or 3.5 inch pipe exiting behind the left rear tire with a free flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler. So give or take, I'm probably three weeks away from hittin the key.