View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #71
Northwest Outlaw

Re: '61 Apache "BoomStick"

Finished up the new exhaust system. https://youtu.be/XyORTgEMcdA
The kit was really easy and fun to use, piecing the pipes together and figuring out where i would need to make my own cuts for the correct routing. The "X-frame" under these years, 1960-62 only i believe, and Torsion-Bar suspension, '60-61, didn't really leave me anywhere to run the exhaust pipes in/through the frame zone. Luckily i hadn't lowered the truck too far to still run under the chassis and keep enough clearance.
From the headers i dropped down right along the frame until the back side of the trans pan, 45 angle towards the center and another 45 to straighten back out. The driver's side has an extra kick out to allow access to the oil filter, something i'm glad i realized now and not later. Both sides came together just behind the trans, then I had to carefully route the paired pipes under the t-bar cross member, as the lowest point on the chassis, which in the end still left 7" clear from ground to exhaust at ride height. With my x-pipe tucked just below the drive shaft tunnel in the x-frame, i was able to slightly angle the exhaust pipes on either side on the driveshaft and start the climb up to wrap over the rear axle. Setting the mufflers vertical and using the offset inlet/outlet to gain height over the axle, the last piece was a 45 angled down between the axle and panhard bar.
With all the pieces cut and fitted together, held by duct tape, i double and triple check the routing before tack welding the pipes. Starting with the header to x-pipe sections, i would tack the pipes, pull them out and run a full weld around each seam. To get the right angle to level out the path, just before the x-pipe i sliced the straight sections about 90% through and then bent the pipe until the opening closed. The thick cutoff wheel i used was the perfect dimension to create the angle. Once the front sections were each welded i placed them back under the truck, bolted to the headers and positioned them correctly while attached to the x-pipe. Tack, tack tack and pulled the whole things out to weld the seams. Repeated that process for the back half and i had myself an exhaust!
The mufflers i decided to clamp in place so that i could have the option to replace them without cutting welds. I also plan on running a few more pieces to get all the way past the rear bumper, once i get around to replacing that. For now dumping right behind the axle will be just fine.
Sprayed all the pipe with black BBQ paint, rated to 1200 degrees, and wrestled the whole contraption under the truck and into place. Fought one bolt on the driver's side collector and ended up having to unbolt the header, secure all three collector bolts, and then bolt the header back on. The passenger side was much easier. Clamped the mufflers on and the last little kickers over the axle, then installed hangers from the last frame cross member, right after the mufflers. When i tried shaking the pipes there was very little movement.
It was about 745 on Saturday evening when I got her set back on the ground and fired up the engine to hear my handiwork. She roared to life with a throaty rumble that made me think of all the best sounding cars i've heard before. At idle she has lumpy growl, the engine probably needs to be tuned better, and when she revs up you can feel the power. I'm pleased with outcome and am listening closely for any leaks, which i'm sure i'll find.
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote