View Single Post
Old 04-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #1706
Hart_Rod

Re: 1969 SuperBurb build-up (Bagged and Blown!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Smart View Post
Headliner looks great !!! Let us know if the re-pop ribs work out.
Thanks, most definitely will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
Well, I hope it's 2017!
I do too, but with everything lately seeming to take twice as long, no guarantees....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I will try to remember on Monday to check and see if it is possible.
I would really appreciate it. I would really like to get that crossed off of my list, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe68 View Post
Headliner turned out great! I'm almost to the point I need to get on this in my Sub. Did you need to use a heat gun, or something, to get the plastic to stay curved at the sides?
And was there a certain order putting them in that made things easier? One more! - looking at the plastic now, how would you rate the "look" of it?
Thanks, I've been meaning to write this for a while but just haven't taken the time to sit down and do it. You don't need a heat gun, but if you think you need a little contouring in the front corners, just use a hair dryer just be careful and don't over do it. You mainly need a little patience and a extra hand if you have one, .

I installed them in this order, rear panel, front panel and then the two smaller panels (your choice on which one first). The front panel was the hardest and you really need help to work it in because of the compound curve in each corner. You really need help on this one because you will be "slapping" the panel forward and you need someone to help guide it into the 1/2" metal channel that the edges of each roof board goes in. That's why I did the rear panel first as it easier to install. You have to "slap" it to get it to move also, but not having the curve makes it little easier and it gives you some practice at it.

So the way I began installing each panel was to put one side into the 1/2" channel (L or R, doesn't matter). Then, I would let it sag in the middle, which allowed me to put the other side in the channel. The FRP is flexible enough to do this, just be careful. Once both side are seated in the channel, then you can push up on the middle until it fits the contour of the roof. If your panel is trimmed correctly, the tension created by the bow of the roof should hold it up and there should be no ripples in it. I cut my panels a little wide (1/8") to make sure I had plenty of material. Plus, it's always easier to cut more off than to add it back, . It took me several removal/installations and trimmings to get each panel to fit the way I wanted them to. Once you are happy with the fit, then you can start "slapping" it to slide it in the rear groove (front and back panel only). Be careful, because if you slap to hard, you can actually crack the FRP, which is a $35 mistake (don't ask how I know...). You can then fit the two center panels such that when you push up in the middle they are in place.

Bottom line, if you take your time (I played around with mine for a week or two), you can get a really nice finished product. Maybe not factory, but pretty close AND I think it will last longer as these panels are waterproof and should not warp. One more tip, If you take a marker and color the brackets where the screws go to hold the center of each panel up, you can gently rub the panel after you have fitted it in order to mark where your screw hole should go.

Also, if you don't have your original headliner boards to use for templates, there are some good diagrams and info in this thread that will get you started:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...install&page=2

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 04-24-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote