Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #47
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

A little background to this truck and the reason I am building it the way I am. I had a 63 SWB Stepside before that was my Uncle's, after many years of begging he finally gave it to me and I started building that truck...Because I wanted it to be super nice I actually took it to a shop to have the truck built...BIB BIG BIG Mistake....after spending a small fortune the truck never got finished by the shop and I ended up going and getting it.

Lets just say that I did not get what I paid for....As life goes and things happen I had to sell the truck..Quite simply it broke my heart..For weeks and weeks all I thought about was my truck...The many who bought it has been real gracious and has even offered me first right of refusal if he decided to sell it. He has the finances and experience to complete what I couldn't....Once done Ill post some pictures of his truck.....I know in my heart that I would never be able to afford buying back my old truck as he has already spent 35k in it.....but I t will be what I intended it to be.

So as the weeks went buy I had a big hole inside ..I know it may sound stupid because after all its just a truck Right? Not to me it wasn't.

It was the reason I love old chevy trucks...I was 6 yrs old, going down a country road, windows down, smell of spring in the air, standing in the seat ( yeah I know...it was a long time ago) and my Uncle buried the needle...Those ole wore out glasspacks sang a song that day that has forever been ingrained in me...Its almost like a drug in some ways.

Which is why I knew I had to get me another truck, and which is why on the first page you see my Uncle in the pictures instead of me.

I am going to do as much work on this truck myself this time...I learned a valuable lesson last time. I will get everything mechanical and electrical done and hopefully by the end of summer I can have it painted. It will not be a show truck but just a nice driver, a good paint job mind you But the bed and the hood, maybe the doors will be the only thing that comes off of it when its painted.

All I have ever owned are Chevrolets and while I do have a 56 Chevy 2 dr Belair, Im a truck guy plain and simple.

I will be retiring sometime this year and have always wanted to visit all 50 states...I have been to Hawaii already and not sure how about driving to Alaska BUT as they say...Im gonna see the USA in my Chevrolet. This is the reason I am building it the way I am....The 700R4 with a higher rear end gear will hopefully help the miles and miles that I am going to put on her. I may not do it all in one fell swoop but that's my goal....I just don't think it will get any better than that!!!
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote