View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: Opinions wanted! seriously, they are

Something to add here....

Let me 'set the table'
...my '72 has its original 350 in it, that....I think..was rebuilt years ago before I bought the truck...but I'm just guessing. The ODO shows 130k and the original/previous owner took amazingly nice care of the truck and used it for easy, local use (not a work truck)....so who knows?...maybe it has never been apart, but I always think these engines don't have the longevity so I guess that it has at some point....but again, who knows.

Regardless...the engine runs great, smooth, quiet, reliable, no ticks or bangs, etc...BUT...it does burn a little oil on start up and it does leak oil....so I know its a little 'long in the tooth'.
I did a compression test on it a couple of years ago and I think all cylinders were somewhere around 125-135 psi...not too high, but quite even....and its no beast on power.

So...flash forward:
I have a really nice, fully rebuilt set of '041' heads that I got a couple of years ago and have been dying to put on the truck as well as a performer dual plane manifold, so I went after some advice from a mechanic friend of mine and this is how our conversation went:

He asked: "How is the truck running"
I said: "Great...really nice...smooth, quiet, but uses a little bit of oil"
He said: "...leave it alone. If it ain't broke, don't attempt to 'half' fix it"
then he said: "Wait a year or two...enjoy it, keep it clean and full of oil...then come up with a 'bigger plan' for your engine when you have the time, space and money to do it correctly"
...in the meantime...."leave it alone....its not a problem for you, so don't make it one"

....interesting advice, which by the way...I've followed....lol.
(but damn, I want to put those 041 heads & manifold on it!!)

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500

Last edited by Coley; 10-27-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote