Thread: $32K for this?
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 10:44 AM   #10
1project2many

Re: $32K for this?

Quote:
Maybe not 30k but still a nice looking truck. I would drive the hubcaps off it.
I think that's the point. It's not about picking apart the truck, but about showing how the asking price of the truck does not match the quality of the work. It's frustrating to me to watch the value of these trucks get so high that even rusted junks sell for thousands. But I think the flip side is that 25 years after I restored my truck there are more replacement pieces available than there were 10 years after the truck was made.

Quote:
New steps but did not bother to paint the bottom of any the fenders, rockers, etc.
I wonder if the steps were installed with two-part adhesive. The bottom appears to have the factory E-coat and no signs that heat from welding damaged the finish.

I cringed at the house carpet in the interior with screwed in home flooring transition strips on the edges, and it was frustrating to see strands of carpet dangling out past the transition strips! The park brake cables appear to be cut so anyone who needs to pass a safety inspection to register or use the vehicle will be spending time and $$ almost immediately. The interior is reasonably presentable which makes the poorly restored steering wheel and rusted horn button stand out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
On that green TF It's maybe a 12K truck in most markets as is but it is in a dealership that sells cars and trucks...
Agreed! I spent a few years at a place like that. They can even set you up with financing for your dream! If the vehicle is a consignment the dealer has likely promised the consigner a pocketful of cash. Unfortunately the dealer may end up talking the seller into authorizing repair of a number of issues such as the parking brake cables, and the cost of the repair will come from the seller's proceeds after the dealer's commission is taken out. They may also try to talk the seller into paying any financing charges, registration charges, or shipping charges in order to ensure the sale is made. The seller's pocketful of cash can disappear before it ever existed while the dealer and its partners profit at every turn.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote