View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 12:14 AM   #9
nikwho

Re: Value in 10 bolt to truck 12 bolt swap?

Good to know! I will need to figure out if I want to build a 9", or go with the 12 bolt. I'm pretty certain that km going to build another 9". Speaking of event/driving style specific suspension, I built a set up for my '53 GMC with multi-purpose driving in mind. I worked on the geometry for a long time, actually a few months before cutting any tubing or brackets. I actually worked out the geometry of two seperate suspension systems that each had the same lower link mounts. Each mount, both frame and axle sides had vertical adjustability, so they weren't to be set up identcally, but very close.

It's a triangulated three link and a parallel 4-link that each utilized the same lower link bars and mounts, but each had different link bars and mounting positions for the upper mounts. I can pretty quickly and easily switch between the two setups. I like the three link better, as it centers the axle and does not require a panhard bar or watts link. I want to primarily autocross the truck, but have the ability to take it down the drag strip occasionally, too. I may build something very similar for this truck, but have been kicking around a satchel link setup for this truck. It's like a backwards triangulated four link or a three link.

For my '53 GMC, I narrowed a 9" out of an Econoline van. I had bought a turned, ground and polished shaft and turned some mock up bearing blocks on the lathe to mount in place of the carrier bearings, as well as the axle ends to verify that each tube was lined up with the carrier. Worked very well. Anyway, got off on a tangent, but yes, I'm always thinking of different suspension setups for the way I like to drive my truck. I've enjoyed building the 9" housings that I have narrowed. I will likely just stick with building another. I tried to rotate this picture twice of my three linked '53 GMC, but it wanted to stay rotated. Sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by nikwho; 01-17-2018 at 12:28 AM.
nikwho is offline   Reply With Quote