View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #10
e015475

Re: In-tank or external fuel pump

Maybe your times around the block are different than mine.

I've spent a few hot afternoons in parking lots in Phoenix pulling the pump out of the tank and replacing itwhen the car wouldn't start. (The cars where you can get to the pump from the passenger compartment are not too bad but my pickup had to be towed to a shop to have the tank dropped to replace the tank pump when it failed.)

The only external pump I ever replaced in almost 40 years of owning some sort of hot-rod is on a car I'd fab'd an aluminum tank for and didn't put a pre-filter and trashed the pump with aluminum shavings. Joe Doh's comment on having no or very low head pressure on the external pump is right-on and I always make sure I'm not asking too much of the pump on the suction side.

There's no doubt than an in-tank turbine style pump has superior reliability to a positive displacement external pump and with cars going 200K miles plus these days having an in tank pump is great for reliability. But the extra cost to put a pump in the tank in my old truck is out of proportion to the reliability benefit for a vehicle that'll be lucky to see 30K miles in its lifetime ( IMO). I didn't find the cost difference to be 'slight' - a custom tank with a filler neck where I wanted it was pretty spendy.

But YMMV and that's the fun of building them - its always interesting to see how other folks solved their build challenges.

With regards, e015475
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote