Thread: Wheel painting?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #19
Foot Stomper

Re: Wheel painting?

Have any of you pulled an original fender to find the original coatings intact inside the wheel well? I have... so I ask, why would you need anything better considering the roads in the 50's... so many of them unpaved combined with the fact that these trucks were work trucks on the farm, driving gravel roads... so again, why would we need any better? Sure, some trucks were driven into the ground, no doubt, but the coatings of today are so much better. They didn't use epoxy primer in the 50's and it's the most effective corrosion resistant coating you can buy.

I'm not a fan of bed liner anywhere but in the bed of a modern truck... at best. All those sprayable bed liners... all of them... are only thick urethane, with the exception of Dominion Sure Seal Gator Guard which is an epoxy (that fades in UV). They will claim to add Kevlar or other modern "micro beads" and such, but they all start as urethane. Bed liners are NOT rust prevention... they are only "thick paint" that provides an abrasive resistant coating, nothing more.

From the factory, the inside of the fenders were painted black. Good black urethane paint over an epoxy primer is a solid performer. Easy to maintain if a bit of road rash is experienced. Custom color urethane almost as easy.

In short, epoxy primer and urethane top coat (Single stage urethane is ideal) will give years of service. Leave the bedliner for truck beds.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote