View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #43
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

Time for a quick update. I was going to post some pics about the rear frame and suspension but the Gallery doesn't seem to be working for me.

Anyway, I have put about 250 miles on her since she first hit the road, I have a few gotchas to fix, but nothing catastrophic. I am happy to say the seat belts showed up as has the Lizard Skin heat and sound barrier.

The biggest issue so far, has been a pulsing vibration at 80 mph. Pulsing normally means driveshaft. On Memorial Day I did a quick check and yep, the rear end pinion angle is way off from transmission angle. So much so that I wouldn't feel comfortable shimming it. Kids, don't guesstimate your pinion angle while the frame is on jack stands without springs installed! So tomorrow I'll pull the rear end, torch off the brackets and try again. It's only a 5-6 hour ordeal, but I'd rather spend that time on other things. There's no work like re-work!

The second issue is revolves around the L/H front spring pocket. If I jack the truck up by the crossmember the suspension droop causes the spring to "fall" out of the pocket and sit off center. Then when I lower the jack that side is 3/4" high. Very annoying. So I have done a lot of measuring (and cussing) and determined the upper pocket center bolster (that is supposed to center the spring) is too short. That means it was wrong from the factory when the crossmember was installed in a squarebody mid-80's. Oh mid-80's build quality... I'll pull the spring back out and weld some tabs too the bolster. That shouldn't take but an hour or so.

Finally, my carb is too small! To get it running I threw a 600VS on it and every single time I floor it you can hear the secondaries whistling hard. That means restriction! So I borrowed a new Quick Fuel 750VS from my dad and will try it once it is back on the road. It is temporary since reinstalling the fuel injection is my goal this upcoming winter. I guess there is a reason every magazine article involving a carbureted 5.3 they use a 750!

The next time I drive it the seat belts and insulation will be installed. So she's probably down for a month or so. I would hope for less but we have a week long vacation to Red River, NM in two weeks so my shop time will be limited. Combine that with the fact I promised my wife I'd have the power brakes conversion finished on her Scout by now and things don't look swell for Whipping Post driving before July 4th.

I hope to finish the backdate next week. I really want to get the rest of the photos uploaded and detailed so I can move this from a "backdate build thread" to a "drive/learn/improve" thread.

Have a great weekend everyone!
1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.

Last edited by Genuine GM; 06-01-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Typos and re-wording
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote