Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 02:31 AM   #1357
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

So I figured I'd better have a closer look at the head unit being as I needed to change the RCA outs for the new system, pulled the rear set out, then the front, when I got off my back and stood up I noticed a little round red dounut on the carpet, closer inspection showed the connector pulled right out of the head unit rear right RCA. Part of the bad sound problem? I'm sure it didn't help.

Decided to remove the head unit at that point, upon removal I found the ground wire had been severed, I still for the life of me cant figure this one out, it didn't reach the gas or break pedal, the only thing close is the heater controls.. But it is what it is.. part of the problem...

After removal of the head unit I looked at that Custom Autosound speaker I installed about 5 years ago, covered in grinding particles, I do believe someone on this forum warned me about this right Vic??? Well at least I can say I was not happy with the sound quality to begin with. Out it came as well, but not without leaving 1/2 of the speakers cardboard surround and fine mesh stuck to the under side of the dash.

So I did the destruction, went up town and bought he new power cable and a few connectors, got the system almost wired up, the the head unit on the floor as well, I'm going to at least see if it will work out of the front channel before I fork out money on another unit witch would probably be a Retrosound unit.

Not too sure if the new front speakers I bought a while back will fit above the head unit, the tweeter sticks above the mounting surface a smidge over 1/4" so I may take the easy way out and drill out a couple new holes in the rear speaker corner brackets instead.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote