View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #47
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

So the photo section is up and running again! That is why I stopped updating; I knew eventually it would be corrected.

Since I last posted I did a lot of work, no photos though. What have I done? I corrected my drive line angle, installed a 750 CFM carb (big improvement), had the bench seat from a '98 Silverado recovered and installed it, installed Juliano's shoulder belts, sprayed Lizard Skin heat and sound insulation, changed out the rear shocks, changed the front shocks, dropped the rear of the truck another 1/2 inch, changed out the rear shocks again, installed a ratchet shifter, drove it about 20-30 miles, apexed every corner and just when I was getting comfortable....

I got the joy of the brand new TCI torque converter shelling a sprag bearing and taking out the transmission with it. Was I on it? Of course! I was trying to determine the best way to launch it without boiling the meats. But I am also under 400HP and I don't own slicks. No excuse! Naturally it broke the weekend before the hottest week we've had, so the truck sat for two weeks. Really, what was I going to do, fix it and then not drive it because it was 107 degrees outside? Anyway, I have the old trans pulled and everything ready to go back together with a known good TH400. The only thing delaying my installation is the arrival of the new torque converter from Jeg's.

Once I get it on the ground and running again I'll update with some current photos.

It is worth noting that my friends and I decided it needs a bigger cam... which I would be doing now IF THE BRAND NEW TCI TORQUE CONVERTER HADN'T DIED!!! But I digress.

In the meantime, here is the rest of the backdate photos.

The rear of the truck was the scene of various mods. In no particular order: most of the cross members were replaced with units I fabricated, the single cross member that wasn't replaced was relocated. I C-Notched the frame and used pieces from a wrecked SWB frame to make doublers. I added triangulation braces using 1-3/4 roll cage tube. I moved the trans cooler to the rear. I installed a rear gas tank. I ran aluminum fuel lines using REAL 6061-T6 aluminum tube, which is what we use on 3000 psi helicopter hydraulic systems. I fabbed custom rear shock mounts. I fabbed a custom panhard bar and mount system that is LOW and level with decent adjustment.

Trying to "stack dimes" with a MIG.

Still trying here.

Panhard frame mount hanging down and ready to help with side bite!

Trans Cooler Mount

Trans Cooler Mounted. NO I DID NOT USE THAT FAN. That was a joke I sent to a buddy.

Painted up. I spray bombed everything with rattle can Epoxy Appliance Paint. I can't endorse that stuff enough! It dries hard as a rock and is really durable.

With the tank installed.

And just like that I am done with build photos. I should have taken more but I didn't. f I find a few odd ones I'll add in if I come across them; but, for the most part I was building and not photographing.

The updates going forward will be the result of beating on it. After all I named it Whipping Post for a reason!
1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.

Last edited by Genuine GM; 08-06-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Terrible grammar!
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote