View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 AM   #1
1962K10

Build begins for my 62’ K10

Hey all! Finally got the ball rolling a bit, thanks to some crazy overtime weeks I’ve picked up some of the body parts I need for my truck. I got off pretty lucky only needing fenders, cab corners, door skins, and inner and outer rocker panels. I had looked a lot of trucks prior to buying this one and the condition of those couldn’t even compare.

My plans as far as the drivetrain goes are a Dana 60 in the front, np205 and 14B rear. I have a lot of options for those in the 72-87 range near me however both axles I’ve only found in 8 Lug with the 60 already having disc brakes and most 14 bolts being full float. I’ve looked a bit on lugnut4x4 and happily found a disc brake conversion for those so I guess I can live with an 8 lug truck. I think 3.73 gears would work great for what I’m wanting as well.

I just have a couple questions for if anyone feels inclined to chime in, are all np205s divorced and compatible or should I look for a certain year and spline count? I’m aware I’ll have to have custom driveshafts built.

As far as an engine and trans go, I’ve thought about both an ls swap or a nice bbc but I have a buddy that does insurance claims and could probably find me a lbz Duramax motor. I’ve done my research on here and on other forums concerning wiring, electronic pedals and steering columns with disabled VATS. If I were to go this route, is there any difference in the 2wd ZF6 and the 4wd version? From what I could tell the transfer case from newer silverados was just direct bolt up to the trans and there was no difference between the two. The main things I see as a potential challenge would be the motor mounts and support crossmembers for the trans and transfer case. However I am CAD guy so that shouldn’t be much of a problem. I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions as I dig further but I have learned a ton already from this forum.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by 1962K10; 02-18-2019 at 02:13 PM.
1962K10 is offline   Reply With Quote