View Single Post
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 PM   #119
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

Oldman - waiting till the wife is away doesn't always work either.

I made a set of headers and was too cheap to have them Jethot coated, so I bought some DIY coating from Tech Line and figured I'd do them myself and cure them in the oven in the house.

I waited till one Saturday when she was gone and put them in the oven to cure. I don't know if they were oily or the coating just off-gassed a lot, but there was a pretty serious smell of smoke in the house.

I figured that I could get the evaporative cooler going and get the smell pushed out of the house, and by the time she got back you could still smell it a little - she was pretty suspicious.

Sunday was the next day and she went to use the oven for dinner, turned on the light and said 'what the hell did you do to my oven? I can't see through the door anymore!'

I found that a electric oven has two panes of glass and evidently there's some airflow to cool it, and whatever was left inside the header tubes or the Tech Line coating had precipitated out onto the glass. I took it apart but no amount of steel wool or razor blades would get the glass clean.

She put her foot down and said there was no way she was cooking anything in that oven anymore, and i should replace the oven. Something about not wanting chemicals in her food.

$500 later I had a good used oven installed.

JetHot coating would have cost me about $250

We're not married anymore.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote