View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
rpmerf

Re: EGR valve testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
The climb up to 2500 is still giving a reading of about 13 to 13.5 though.
You might want to look into the power piston spring. I just changed the power piston spring out on my carb.

The spring that WAS in there started enrichment around 8" of vacuum. This meant that below about 25% throttle, it had very little power, then came to life once I hit 8".

I just switched to a 12" spring. I idle around 14-16" in drive, so it is fully seated. Enrichment happens very quickly. As soon as I give it just about any bit of gas. I'm going to have to see how that works out in various situations - mainly highway cruising.

If you go with a weaker spring, you might want to try playing with the Adjustable Part Throttle (APT). The APT sets how far the power piston can close. You can raise this up a bit to help make up for when the piston is in it's closed position, then turn in the idle screws to compensate for the extra fuel from the primaries. It's a balance and a bit of trial and error to find a right combination.

Also, crazy to hear how much of a difference that EGR makes. I've always thought EGR on a carbed motor was a bit odd, turns out it's as bad as I thought. Hard to imagine that even helps emissions.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote