View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
kipps

What emergency tools are you carrying in the truck?

Copied this quote from the "4x4 for dummies" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
First thing you want to do is get a length of chain or snatch 'um strap to keep in the vehicle. Nothing worse than having 4wd and getting stuck inches away from getting out with 4wd. And, nothing worse than having the ability to help someone out of the ditch... except you have no way to hook up to them. A very lame moment, like not having battery cables.
It's amazed me how few people carry jumper cables any more. I'm almost never without them. I don't often carry a tow strap, though. Some folks may be shocked, but I rarely carry a spare tire. As long as I'm within five miles of home(99% of time), it's simpler to call someone to bring the spare. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll throw it in the bed.

I usually have a toolbag with me with screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, vise grips, obd2 reader, multi-meter, etc. Enough to make a reasonable diagnosis, but not usually enough to actually swap parts. Again, if going on a longer trip, I'll toss in a few more toolboxes.

When coming home from church late one night, I came upon a row of vehicles(church folks, also on their way home) stopped at a large oak tree that was completely blocking the road. There's a particular feeling of empowerment being the one guy on site who can procure a chainsaw from the passenger floorboard.

What "must-have" items are with you in the vehicle at all times? What unusual stuff have you been carrying that saved the day?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote