View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
skyphix

Re: LS turbo advice needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
I have a set of PAC1218 springs already and was planning on either 60 or 80 lb injectors with a big Walbro pump. Is a wideband required to run a turbo? The o2 sensors are one of the fuzzy things for me. Location, number, and style. Kind of assumed you need one in the downpipe but was thinking you don't really need 2 since there will only be one exhaust pipe.

The turbos I have been looking at are the VS billet 7875, the Huron Speed billet 7875, and the Precision LS cast 7675. The price gap is a consideration but I definitely want a setup that will last a while.

Yes, in order to safely run a turbo, a Wideband will be required. The factory O2 sensors are only accurate at Stoich (14.7) - or within 1% of that. You'll want to tune down in the mid 12's at the very least, where the factory O2's are outside their effective range.

I've seen as many as one per cylinder, or as few as 1 in the downpipe. 1 in the downpipe is adequate for most people.

Go 80lb injectors... you won't need them at first, but as soon as you hit 550 wheel hp, 650 seems tempting... then when you hit 650, 750 seems tempting... you get my point. "Over Injector"'ing is rarely a bad idea.

The VS turbo's are proving more reliable than people expected. I'll be running a VS turbo - either an S475 or an S480. There's a couple of people locally with upwards of 50,000 year-round miles on their VS turbos with zero issues.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote