View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 03:48 PM   #3
Scott Liggett

Re: Another 292 build

This is going back 30 years to HS, I had a friend who had a 292 in his 67 Camaro. It was originally a 250, 4 spd car. What I do remember was: it came out to a 302 ci after it was bored (He put 302 badges on the fenders) He had a four barrel intake and split header on it. Not sure what cam, but it sounded weird when idling. But, oh man the torque!! He beat a lot of V8 cars street light to street light.

It was pretty much finished around 4500 rpm. I would look at a cam that had higher lift, but keeping duration below 224 @.050. It's all about torque here. Getting with a cam company tech to pick one for your needs would be recommended.

Personally, for a truck engine, I would want to keep the compression around 9-9.25:1. An iron headed engine that deals with heavy loads, anymore would need high octane gas all the time and not much gained in HP. With 9:1, I would run 87 octane unless I was towing. Again personal preference.

these things powered tons of medium duty trucks without a problem for years. There are still old grain trucks around here with those 292's humming away.
Scott Liggett is offline   Reply With Quote