View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
projectking

Re: ‘18 Denali junk rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
the last pic with the pad in hand you can see the tab / ear hs been in tight and i would bet the o.p. had to pry it out of the bracket . most of the time this is the case but not always .

also its NOT just gm with the problem .

the bracket the pads sit in gets rusted up and binds up the pads in the bracket so they cant float and move the way they need to . also lots of brake pads these days need the extra flashing filed / ground / removed to make sure the pads float .

i clean the bracket down to bare metal in a blast cabinet or small grinder wheel or bit . then new shim unit installed . next test fit the new pads and make them fit with a little slop in the bracket so they float good and ave room before the rust builds up and locks them in again .

once this is done i remove the pads / shim unit and coat the surfaces in copper anti-seize . then shim back on and a little copper anti-seize and pads .

once the rotors are rusted this way there junk / wont clean up with new pads or even on a rotor resurface machine . i ran one for almost 15 years i tried a few times and by the time you get a good surface your so far under min spec the rotor is junk . so just get new .

before the rotor goes on the wheel hub or axle flange make sure the surface is clean and not rusted bad . then a coat of anti-seize to let the rotor float and not rust up on to the hub center . the rotor needs to float or it will warp .

all this work is NOT covered under you std auto shop brake job . they just hang them and bang them out .

people wounder why i take over 1 hr to do a set of pads / rotors on 1 axle . but i dont have come back jobs and my jobs last longer before they need redone again .

hope this info helps and good luck . 41 years of living and working in the rust belt of the north east here .
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did have to pry it out, thought it was odd it was so tight. What pissed me off was the guy telling me it was my problem! I have a buddy with a connection to another dealer that says it should be covered under the warranty, if they do the job or I’m on the hook I will definitely take your advice and make sure the pads are floating.

Anyone in the Chicagoland area should be sure to avoid Rizza GMC
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote