View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
jdl71

Re: Rockwell t221 gear slop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
Been going through some of the same issues with my x-fer case as well. Original case in truck sounded like it was going to explode over 50mph. Tore it down and found badly rusted and worn parts, plus a few installed wrong. Basically took best parts from 3 different cases and all new bearings and seals. Now had totally different noises, but maybe a little quieter. Knew parts weren't going to self destruct, and figured noises were from mismatched gears. Shortly after found another case that looked to be in really good original shape, so put it in as is. Sounds much better, but suspect maybe could use a bearing or two. Will investigate when I have more time.
As for your gear slop, I noticed on mine the same wear on half of the idler shaft. I put it together with the worn splines on the low range gear as I recall, so that would be tight in 2hi. I think that helped on mine.
Once I determine that my noises aren't a bad bearing, then will start in with sound proofing the cab floor.
While most everybody I've talked to with a 221 complains about the noise, there is another guy in town with a 65 and his is as quiet as my old 2wd. Would have never believed it if I hadn't heard with my own ears, but there is at least one quiet Rockwell out there.
Keep us posted on your progress,
Tom
Yeah, I'm kind of of the same mind. Once I'm satisfied it's not going to grenade itself I'll start insulating and ignore the rest.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote