View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #302
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials - Timing

Timing - Knock Retard Amount

Here we take a look at the total Knock Retard Amount table found under:
Engine \ Spark \ Retard tab \ Knock Retard section \ Amount table
the PCM is willing to yank out up to 35 degrees of timing in my case, however this is as good of a time as any to mention the additional Multiplier tables, which take a complex system and make it even more complicated, ha ha
Engine \ Spark \ Retard tab \ Knock Retard section \ ECT Mult table
Directly to the right of this table is the ECT Mult table think of this table as that annoying friend that always chimes in when you try to tell a good story and corrects you all the time. So for example you say man I went to the Kings basketball game last night and they killed the Clippers, and your buddy goes, actually the final score was only 88-86. You get what I'm saying!?

So the ECT Mult table watches the engine coolant temp (there it is again the importance of keeping your engine properly cooled/heated) and for example when the temp is only 68 degrees and the PCM goes I'm gonna pull out 21 degrees of timing cause according to the Amount table that's what I gotta do at 800 RPM, the ECT Mult (your annoying buddy, goes) um not so fast the coolant temp is only 68 degrees at the moment so only pull out 75% of that 21 degrees.

Got it?
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 02-27-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote