Thread: Dream shop?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 01:51 AM   #17
cornerstone

Re: Dream shop?

Well guys, I'm bringing this back up again, since I have a new reason to build this thing. My daughter is engaged to be wed this coming October, and she has it set in her head that she wants to have the wedding at our place and have the reception in the pole barn. If I could only pry that phone out of her hand and keep her off pintrest....

I'm gonna need a space to keep stuff covered while I get the barn ready to pour a cement floor... apparently a dirt floor is too redneck for my millennial daughter and wife??? A couple important changes to the design plan, which I hope will take the stress out of how much weight this thing will need to bear... (pun fully intended).

Let's call it an overbuilt carport for the time being. In the future I may close it in, but for my head to be able to wrap around this and actually get it done, I need to simplify the plan. I now want it to be a flat roof design, with no intention to put anything on top... well, hopefully solar panels in the future, but with the size of the structural steel I will be using, I can't imagine that will even approach being problematic. All I'm dead set on is a ceiling tall enough to have a lift. I will most likely build this thing with a gravel floor initially and add a slab later when I know my time constraints have been met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Actually, that's almost exactly the same as our hay shed/horse barn.

You will have to come up with a plan for all the water that runs off your shed roof into the gap between the back of your building and the hillside

I'll install gutters that direct the water to the sides and into downspouts that feed into a runoff area.

Did I mention "cheap" ?
I love cheap! So far I only have 1500. bucks into the steel. I may need a few more beams, but I have a great source for recycled materials.
I plan on moving forward as soon as I can. One thing is for sure, I've got my work cut out for me.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote