Thread: Dream shop?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #48
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dream shop?

Block foundations usually fail due to poor grading, waterproofing, and drainage. A properly done block foundation can stand the test of time. I've seen plenty of cracked concrete foundations. A failure can be more dramatic with block because it can blow-out a section. But it's easier to repair (properly) than a broken concrete foundation. Put rebar and fill that block, laid using durawall, with concrete and you have a real wall. I've built earth shelter homes using that method. These walls supported a pre-cast roof with slab poured on top plus 18" of soil. 2/3 of the house is in the ground. Cope the wall to the footer, bed of stone, perforated drain tile, paper over, then more stone. On some builds the dirt cut to make the foundation is not a good backfill material. It's all about drainage and what you can do to enhance that. On the surface it's grade. Swails are required to halt and direct water around the foundation. Then it's keep the roof drainage off that ground with gutter

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote