Thread: Dream shop?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #50
cornerstone

Re: Dream shop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Since I was referenced in the first post, mine is finally starting to look like something. 28x52 with 10x52 attic storage (6'ceiling)
Beautiful addition to your property Jesse. I'd bet all that money spent was way better than keeping in a 401k. You just added huge value to your place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
That wall in front of those 71-72 trucks is below grade. Being below grade and with the foam insulation, it is super easy to heat.

The key to building below grade is keep the water away from the building.
How far up the back wall is under grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Block foundations usually fail due to poor grading, waterproofing, and drainage. A properly done block foundation can stand the test of time. I've seen plenty of cracked concrete foundations. A failure can be more dramatic with block because it can blow-out a section. But it's easier to repair (properly) than a broken concrete foundation. Put rebar and fill that block, laid using durawall, with concrete and you have a real wall. I've built earth shelter homes using that method. These walls supported a pre-cast roof with slab poured on top plus 18" of soil. 2/3 of the house is in the ground. Cope the wall to the footer, bed of stone, perforated drain tile, paper over, then more stone. On some builds the dirt cut to make the foundation is not a good backfill material. It's all about drainage and what you can do to enhance that. On the surface it's grade. Swails are required to halt and direct water around the foundation. Then it's keep the roof drainage off that ground with gutter
Thanks Tim! I've been holding out for your response. I have a bunch of reading to do...now, where'd I put that dictionary?

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote