View Single Post
Old 03-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #374
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials

Yes there is a dozen things to check once you fire up your rig for the first time but lets focus on things that will keep you from blowing up the engine.

So for this you want to connect your laptop with HP Tuners on it to your PCM, you can do this with your truck On or Off, running or not running it doesn't matter. Then open VCM Scanner on your laptop and just look at the left hand side of this super busy and cluttered screen, on the left you have something called Channels, (ignore the pretty graphs and charts on the right where your eye wants to wonder, ha ha)

look for four line items,

Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (driver side)
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1 (driver side)
Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (passenger side)
Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 2 (passenger side)

Not knowing anything about anything, and I am not putting no one down, here's what should be happening.

1. the numbers should be dancing, they should be changing, they all should be adjusting (while you drive around that is, and come to a stop sign or a stop light)

2. If you see any of the numbers stuck on 25 things aint good! Positive numbers mean you are running lean and the PCM is adding fuel, negative numbers mean you are running rich and the PCM is holding fuel back. Single digit numbers are ok +9 or -9 or less. Numbers of +4 or -4 are good, and numbers of +2 or -2 are awesome, but don't kill yourself trying to get those, as some days you will see them some days you will not.

Now keep in mind I am giving you some quick and dirty tips right here, in case some of you are reading this by just jumping onto this moving train, I would imagine that if you went out and bought HP Tuners you plan on doing things right and you bought yourself lots of beer and spent the hours needed to read this long sexy thread from the beginning so that you have some legs to stand on, kapish.
Attached Images

Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote