View Single Post
Old 03-21-2020, 12:33 PM   #377
norcalcap

Re: HP Tuners Tutorials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPotter View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for Gregski, thank you! Once I get it purchased and hooked up I will let you know if I see any red flags.

I did wire up the OBD and plugged in a cheap scanner and didn't get any codes. I guess if a tuner was just plain evil they could disable all codes, but I have some faith in them.
I was exactly where you are a few months ago, prior to these masterful posts from Gregski!!! I received a mail-order ECM and thought my truck ran fine. I didn't have any codes and it ran well. After buying HP Tuners and following the wonderful guidance of Gregski, I realized my tune was no where near good nor safe for my truck. I had 25 LTFTs, idle was off, knock, poor idle and MAF tuning.
I never had any codes show through a scan tool, these poor parameters mentioned where realized after learning how to read and adjust the tune with HP Tuners. With the steps in this amazing post, Gregski helped tune my truck the right way, and had made an extremely noticeable difference in its performance, and as he mentions, my motor is safer (25 LTFT's is way off the charts). HP Tuners is not necessarily cheap, but I quickly learned that without it, there would have been no way I would have known how bad my tune actually was.
I really want to express my gratitude to Gregski for his dedication to this forum and specifically this post. HP Tuners was very intimidating, however, Gregski dumbed it down and made it easy for us all.

Gregski, correct me if Im wrong, but I don't think a check engine light will activate just because we have high or low fuel trims or the idle is off 50-100 rpms, etc..? I would image the computer is not seeing any problem because no one sensor is showing it to be in fault, but rather its a tuning issue, much like my truck experienced. Thus, we can not determine our motor to be running well just because we do not have a light on?
norcalcap is offline   Reply With Quote