Thread: 47-55.1 Reinstalling the Hood
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
joedoh

Re: Reinstalling the Hood

if you care about beauty marks, enlist a couple friends and some towels.

if you arent worried about "beauty marks"

I have only done it with the hinges installed on the cab already, so thats how this is written.

I usually just put the hood on in the proper place, after putting a bath towel on the cowl where the hood rests and..

the hood can be unweildly but if you lift by putting the nose of the hood in your waist, you can grab the sides about the middle and its easy to maneuver to the truck. then prop it up with a broom stick, letting the back edge pivot on that towel. then install one bolt at a time, top bolt, spring bolt, bottom bolt, viola. I do the spring bolt second because its usually easy to push it down slightly to get the bottom bolt in.

a word of caution, there are shoulders on the hood bolts that have to seat, clean the shoulders and the holes on the hinges with some emery paper or scotchbrite pad. if I get one that doesnt want to seat the shoulder in the hinge while tightening, I usually tighten it to the shoulder, then open and close the hood a few times, it will sometimes "snap" onto the shoulder. also, there are two different size shoulders, and for some reason the same size shoulder can have two different size sockets, so have all your tools ready. I use a ratchet where it fits, and a crescent wrench where it doesnt.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote