Thread: 47-55.1 Door hitting latch
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #5
joedoh

Re: Door hitting latch

if the hinges are tight and good shape like you have said, take the door panel off and the lower panel off the inside of the door and with the door shut, loosen the 6 bolts. you will actually see the bolt move when you loosen the last one, and the adjustment will be done. it may not though.

my actual method when I have this problem is more unorthodox. they adjusted hinges with pipe wrenches I have heard, so if my drivers door is sagging when open and the latch lifts it, I actually open the door slightly to clear the running boards and use a block of wood at the back/bottom and a floor jack to lift the door slightly. it doesnt adjust the hinge, it bends the door slightly where the hinges attach. I just know saying it out loud that someone will have a problem with it, but if you think about it, if the hinges are tight and good shape, its probably 70 years of leaning on the door getting out that has sagged the metal of the door skin at the hinges and a jack pops it right back up. I have a truck now that has a tear on the inner skin from swinging in the wind for a decade and its amazing how flimsy just that tear makes the door attachment. not a lot, just a pump or two, the truck wont come off the ground or anything. works nice.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote