View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #54
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
Joedoh,
19k is outrageous. I personally feel that if you can weld in body mounts a mustang2 front, or a 4 link you can build a frame. Square tubing is not that expensive and you could fab it to any dimension you like, including width. Now with that said how hard would it be to move any suspension to the old frame? Guys are doing vette stuff on the tri 5s. There are options and the original post was would you do it again. That means is this the way to go. Sure you can cut up a body to make it fit any frame.

There are plenty of suspensions out there but saying 70 year old tech is short sighted. Leafs have been around fore ever and work. The mustang 2 setup is 50 years old. Coil springs and control arms arnt new ideas either. How about torsion bar. Rides awesome and still in use by Chevrolet last I checked. None of this is new. You are just looking at newer engineering of old ideas. Sorry that is the fact. Now brakes have definatley improved but that is also swapable.

My 57 GMC is sitting in the que behind alot of other projects so I look at what people are doing here. Its a 1 ton and will remain on the original frame and from there I will mod it to my tastes. For now back up and running. Once its turn is here it will get a 4x4 conversion on a boxed factory frame with a cummins diesel. Love the style but I need my dream truck to be functional since it will become the daily drive at that point.
Eh, $19K isn’t a bad deal considering what you’re getting. You’re starting off with a brand new, fully boxed frame. Rack and pinion steering with late model suspension geometry, usually based off a C4, C5, or C6, so you get IFS. Many come loaded with all suspension components including coil overs. Fabricated rear axle in whatever width you want. Choices of 3 link, 4 link, or IRS. Built to clear most modern engine and transmission combinations, and include mounts and crossmember. Bolt your powertrain, body, and wheels on and go. Plus, built on a jig for straightness. I’d have a hard time reproducing that in my own shop at the same level of engineering and quality for the price. It’s definitely a steep investment though, no doubt about that.

Yeah, 70 year old tech is a bit of a oversimplification, but the stock components are far outdated. Kingpin axles, straight axles, 2” wide leaf springs, pivoting axles, torque tubes (yes, I’m aware Corvettes use a modern version), and non self-adjusting brakes are things of history. Even the MII IFS is a pretty bad design by today’s standards. Love me some torsion bars though.
Nick_R_23 is online now   Reply With Quote