View Single Post
Old 06-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #59
Nick_R_23

Re: S10 Frame Swap on 47-53 - Would you do it again?

I think an extension of that is a lot of guys get caught up with “project creep”, and I’m certainly guilty of doing it. What starts off as a stock engine, stock transmission, stock suspension build because you start off saying that’s all you really need, can quickly turn into a twin turbo stroker LS with 6 speed transmission, 4 link rear end on bags or coil overs, big brake kit, C5 IFS, etc, because you look at it and go “Well, I’m already in here and it wouldn’t be THAT much more to do xxxx...” and that can stall out a project for a very long time. Something I’ve learned through the years of building cars is that if it’s apart for too long, it’s easy to lose interest or become burned out on building it, because that’s all you’re ever doing to the car. The more you can drive and enjoy it in the meantime and see the fruits of your labor, the more you’ll be able to keep going on it. The Roadkill guys really said it best - Don’t get it perfect, just get it going. Not that you shouldn’t work to perfect your ride, but you don’t have to do it all in one go. Swap a rear end one weekend. Drive it for a few months and upgrade the transmission, or suspension. Nothing wrong with a 305 or a V6 if it gets you out cruising while you set aside for something better, rather than not driving at all because you’re holding out for only the best, perfect engine. Slowly improve it and get to enjoy the drive while you do!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote