View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 04:18 PM   #43
arveetek
Ultimate Diesel Dude

6-29-04 Update:

I replaced the plastic pressure pipe that goes from the turbo to the manifold with a steel pipe. I think I've got all the bugs worked out now! (I burned a hole in one of the rubber elbows I was using...decided that wasn't going to work!) I've added new pics of the pressure system, and here's one of 'em (at bottom of post)!

All the pics showing my progress can be seen here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/153303040IeQyIu

13 psi still seems to be my top boost, which is fine by me. Anything over that would scare me...I'm not sure how much boost my 6.2L can take!

In order to reach that much boost, I'm running at full throttle at near governed engine rpm. Most of the time the boost runs around 10-11 psi under near full throttle.

The highest EGT I've managed to hit is 975 degrees. It will actually go higher than that in overdrive when boost is low, but not when under full throttle. That means I've got more playing to do with the injection pump.

I find it extremely interesting at how the turbo affects EGT's. Before the turbo, I turned up the pump 1/4 turn and was hitting 1300 to 1400 degrees all the time. After the turbo, and with no adjustments to the injection pump, I see 900 tp 975 as max. temps, with cruising temps around 500 to 700.

When cruising in overdrive, the boost is low and the EGT's are higher. Push the throttle down and give it a little more fuel, and the truck jumps into third, the rpms and boost climbs up, and the EGT's actually drop! That just goes to show how much difference a turbo alone can make in EGTs.

Also, although I can't see the tailpipe that well in my mirror, I don't think I'm smoking hardly at all now, whereas before I could leave a smoke screen. I'm burning all my fuel now. Just another indication to the need of IP tweaking!

Casey
Attached Images

Last edited by arveetek; 06-29-2004 at 04:21 PM.
arveetek is offline   Reply With Quote