View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 01:21 AM   #7
jumpsoffrock

Re: best carburetor for a ‘79 GMC C7000

Honest to god you could risk it suffocating on a two barrel carb, and get a carb adapter and put a Rochester dual jet. You'd be going from a larger air volume four barrel to a two barrel.

Quite frankly I have one on my Chevy 327 small block and it spends a lot of down time--on the only rebuild I gave it in 2014, mind you--and it drinks the cheapest ARCO I can find; no leaks, and to my complete surprise it starts and runs fine.
My choke is inoperable and even on a 40ºF day in winter after not running for a few weeks it will start almost immediately if you hold the gas pedal just right to simulate a choked setting(more fuel less air).

If I let it sit more than a month, It will allow the fuel in the carb bowl to evaporate away making for longer starts(15-20 seconds of cranking at the most) but as long as it's started once every two or three weeks it'll start and run like a champ.

If you were running a 454 I might shy away from a two barrel, but for your non-high-RPM needs and the engine is only a 366, you could spend a little money and try it.

Those Rochester Dual Jet's are very simple and tried and true.

Last edited by jumpsoffrock; 09-10-2020 at 01:29 AM.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote